Florence is a Social Worker and work in the Coordination Office of Mission 21 in South Sudan.
1. What was your first connection with Mission 21 or Basel Mission?
My first connection with Mission 21 was when I was working for the Sudan Council of Churches for Women and Youth Department. Mission 21 was, and is still supporting the activities. Also, I was the Programme Officer in charge until 2013.
2. What have been your contributions to the empowerment of women?
- Conducting trainings like Gender Justice, UNSCR 1325 for women in churches and also NGOs
- I also developed the Gender Policy for Sudan Council of Churches (Equatoria Region)
- I also Reestablished the Women Department in South Sudan Council of Churches
3. Why do you think the empowerment of women is important in the Faith Based Organizations?
- Women are the part of society and for them to make a sound decision, there need to equip them
- Empowering women,is to give women rights. Women can have equal right to participate in education, society, Economy and politically.
- Women empowerment is important because it encourage women to feel strong by telling them they can do everything that they want to do.
- Empowerment gives them the opportunity to make up their mind, not always depend on the men.
- Empowerment helps to reduce in domestic violence due people promote and give the value to women
4. What are, in your experience the main challenges to overcome as an advocacy leader for women’s human rights in a context of Faith Based Organization?
- Gender barriers and leadership solutions, women leaders are still a minority. This statement comes as no surprise to most of us. What is surprising is that men outpace women in leadership roles across every sector in the world.
- Stereotyping and leadership styles
- Our examination of the relationship between women leadership styles and the faith based organization
5. What are the main issues you would like to advocate (or you are already advocating for) in your community in order to fight for women’s human rights and achieve gender justice?
The girl children education. Because when you educate a girl you educate a nation. Early and force marriage .